Loyens & Loeff loses experienced tax partner Pieter de Ridder (after 29 years) to Mayer Brown
Mayer Brown JSM has announced that Pieter de Ridder has joined the Tax Transactions & Consulting practice as a partner in Singapore.
Mr. de Ridder has over two decades of experience in Asia advising multinational companies and institutions with interests in one or more Asian jurisdictions on their inbound and outbound work. Prior to arriving Singapore in 1996, he was based in Jakarta and Hong Kong. He has worked for Loyens & Loeff for the past 29 years.
His practice focuses on advising tax matters such as direct investment, restructurings, financing arrangements, private equity and holding company structures into or from countries such as China, Hong Kong, India and the countries in Southeast Asia, especially Indonesia. Mr. de Ridder is an SIATP accredited Singapore tax adviser and regularly advises on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions, private equity, administrative actions and tax rulings, coordinating unilateral and bilateral advance pricing arrangements, tax incentive negotiations with investment authorities, maritime, structured finance, trade and contract manufacturing, as well as real property investments.
Jason Bazar, Co-Chair of the firm wide Tax Transactions & Consulting practice said, “Pieter has established himself as a top-notch tax lawyer and adviser on cross jurisdictional work involving investments in or from Asia. His arrival has broadened our capabilities on many levels in terms of advising our global clients doing business in Asia. We are very pleased to have him on board.”
Pieter is a member of:
• Netherlands Council for Tax Advisers (Nederlandse Orde van Belastingadviseurs)
• International Fiscal Association (IFA) – vice president executive committee, Singapore Branch
• International Tax Planning Association (ITPA)
• International Bar Association (IBA)
• Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA) – chair of the tax committee
• Association of Dutch Businesspeople in Singapore (ADB)
• Indonesia/Netherlands Association (INA)
• Dutch Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (co-founder and former director)
• Board of Editors of the Asia Pacific Tax Bulletin of the Bureau of Fiscal Documentation
• A group of advisors to an Indian law firm in connection with the proposed Indian Draft Corporate Tax Code legislation
Prior to joining Mayer Brown JSM, Mr. de Ridder was a partner and the head of Loyens & Loeff’s Singapore office where he was a member of the firm’s India and China committees, and he worked at one of the big four accounting firms in the Netherlands, Indonesia and Hong Kong. He received his LLM in tax law from the University of Leiden, the Netherlands. He is a guest lecturer at the Singapore Management University (SMU) and is fluent in Dutch and English and fair in French and German.