Tax Partner Jan Birtwell appointed Head of London office at O’Melveny & Myers
O’Melveny & Myers LLP has named Jan Birtwell as Head of the Firm’s London office.
Jan is already the Firm’s Regional Head of Transactions in Europe and the partner responsible for O’Melveny’s graduate recruitment program in London. She also is the founder of the TransAtlantic Tax Group, an association of more than 100 tax practitioners at US law firms in London. As a partner in O’Melveny’s Tax Practice, Birtwell advises on the UK and international tax aspects of corporate finance and merger and acquisition transactions and on the tax structuring of investment funds—particularly those focusing on private equity, infrastructure, and mezzanine finance/debt (including distressed debt situations).
“Jan is a sought-after resource for clients involved in any cross-border business and a valued leader of the Firm,” said Firm Chair Bradley J. Butwin. “Since joining O’Melveny 10 years ago, Jan has embodied the core values of O’Melveny and is a natural fit for this role.”
Illustrative Professional Experience
- designing fund structures to suit a spectrum of investor types in various jurisdictions, including the US and Europe and underlying investment structures to suit specific investment strategies based on private equity or hedge or a mix of such models
- advising a large private banking group on appropriate feeder fund structures to invest into private equity and distressed debt funds raised by leading fund managers/houses
- advising private equity houses on leveraged buy-outs, secondary transactions and on sales and IPO’s of portfolio companies
- advising on spin-out transactions and concurrent fund raisings by private equity management teams exiting from large financial institutions to form independent private equity houses
- advising fund investors on direct participations in large take-private bids for publicly listed companies