Chris Mangin joins Vinson & Elkins as part of REIT team move from Hunton & Williams
Vinson & Elkins LLP has significantly expanded its Capital Markets and M&A Practice with the addition of a nationally recognized REIT team, including five partners.
Daniel M. LeBey, S. Gregory Cope, Christopher C. Green and David Samuel Freed join as partners in V&E’s Capital Markets and M&A Practice and Christopher Mangin, Jr. joins as a partner in the Tax Practice. Each was previously a partner with Hunton & Williams LLP.
Mangin advises clients on a broad spectrum of federal income tax issues associated with REITs, partnerships and related businesses. He regularly counsels both issuers and underwriters on the tax matters that arise in public and private equity and debt offerings by REITs and publicly-traded partnerships as well as targets and acquirors in tax-deferred and taxable mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, spin-offs, restructurings, dispositions and recapitalizations.
- Issuers and underwriters in public and private equity and debt offerings by REITs and PTPs
- Targets and acquirors in tax-deferred and taxable mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, restructurings, and dispositions, including tax-free spin-offs under Section 355 of the Internal Revenue Code
- REITs, including hotel REITs, equity REITs, healthcare REITs, commercial mortgage REITs, residential mortgage REITs, and hybrid REITs, on investment structuring, including joint ventures with operators, taxable REIT subsidiary (TRS) structures, investments in funds, mezzanine loans, and distressed debt
- Buyers and sellers on the tax-efficient purchase, sale, and recapitalization of real estate and real estate-owning entities
- Tax planning on the formation of REITs and rollup transactions involving REITs and umbrella partnership real estate investment trusts (UPREITs)
- Formation and restructuring of real estate joint ventures using partnerships and limited liability companies
- Clients in connection with private letter rulings (PLRs) submitted to the Internal Revenue Service
- Matters arising under the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA)
Mangin will practice in V&E’s new Richmond, Va. office,