Weil, Gotshal & Manges promotes Ludger Kempf to tax partner
Ludger Kempf has been elected a tax partner in the Frankfurt office of Weil, Gotshal & Manges, effective January 1, 2019.
Mr. Kempf advises institutional and private clients in international and German legal and tax matters. He has extensive experience and business and industry knowledge with regard to:
- mergers, demergers and restructurings of national and international companies in the financial sector, including cross-border issues;
- daily German income tax matters of banks and financial service providers (i.a. tax compliance, field audits);
- the treatment, review and structuring of capital markets products and financial investment products (i.a. derivatives, domestic and foreign investment funds and closed-ended funds) under German tax and regulatory law as well as complex investment structures for institutional and private investors (especially investment banks, investment management companies, corporates and UHN individuals);
- German income tax issues of (private and institutional) German investors in (domestic and foreign) private equity funds (e.g. tax compliance, field audits);
- value-added tax (VAT) of domestic and foreign banks and suppliers of financial services especially with regard to tax optimization (“Tax Health Check”, VAT Savings);
- complex fiscal litigations for national and international clients in front of the German fiscal courts and supreme tax court.
Mr. Kempf’s experience prior to joining Weil, Gotshal & Manges includes acting as a senior manager in the financial services tax department of one of the four leading global audit and accounting firm. Mr. Kempf regularly publishes articles on various German tax issues and is co-author of a regulatory and tax law manual on investment funds. He is fluent in German, English and French.